Domain Name Age Matters
If you have a great idea for a website, an infoproduct, a membership site — whatever it is…it is a great idea to lock in the domain name you have in mind for it.
Even if you haven’t made a final decision about the name, or haven’t even thought about when you possibly get to developing your great idea — that’ s okay. Lock In The Name!
1. Domain names are getting scarce. Especially with the .com extension. So if you have an idea for one, lock it in and if you don’t use it, you can always try to sell it.
2. How long you have had a domain matters to the search engines, especially our favorite – Google:) So if you buy your domain this year and don’t use it until 2 years from now (something Mike Filisaime did with Butterfly Marketing), when you finally do develop it, Google will look at your site favorably (better pagerank) because it has already “existed” for two years. Google likes old sites.
3. Which leads me to my next point. If you can buy an OLD domain name for your new site or product and it doesn’t cost a ridiculous amount of money (these things can always be negotiated), buy it. Same prinicple. Better to have an old name than a new one.
4. Finally, you can invest in domain for under $10 bucks a year. You spend more than that on latte’s for the week! So, this is this type of business investment that I like…inexpensive:)
There are dozens of domain hosting companies on the web. And now most web hosting companies offer a free domain name when you sign up for a new account but these are my recommendations:
FIRST – I use hostgator for my webhosting. I use them because I can host unlimited sites with them AND because they have 24-hour telephone customer service which is fabulous. I also have a few names registered with them as well. But not all of them because I think it’s best to keep the two separate in case something happens with one company or the other.
SECOND – I use seodomainhosting.com for securing domain names.
Latest posts by Lisa Angelettie (see all)
- Back Matter 101: How To Add Killer Call To Actions To Your Books - August 3, 2015
- Shelfari Is No Longer An Option In Author Central - July 28, 2015
- What Are The Most Well-Read Cities In America? - June 2, 2015