The Article Marketing SEO Series
Part I – Get Your Domain Name Right
I’ve probably told this story many times, but I can’t reiterate it enough. If I had to do it all over again and build all of my older websites from scratch, the first thing I would have done is chosen keyword rich domain names for ALL of my sites. It’s not that I hadn’t heard that advice before, when I was building my sites — but I basically ignored it because I think I fell victim to a couple of things:
1. I didn’t really understand the importance of SEO. I didn’t quite understand it at the time, and there was also a lot of conflicting information out there about how tenuous it would be to rely on SEO for traffic building. So I didn’t focus on it that much. Luckily, I finally realized how important article marketing SEO is and that the “rules” around it have typically stood the test of time.
2. I didn’t know how to find the right keywords in my niche. It wouldn’t have made too much sense to purchase keyword domain names when I had no clue what keywords to select. I would have been shooting in the dark. I’m not saying that forking over 10 bucks for the wrong domain name will break you, but it starts to add up if you find out you have chosen a keyword phrase that no one in your niche searches for or that you have no chance of ranking well for.
3. I fell victim to endless branding messages. If you have been marketing your business for any length of time online, I’m sure you have run into many branding articles, branding coaches, branding blah blah blah. Eck! Don’t get me wrong, branding is very important. Heck – I’m still working mine out. BUT when you get so much conflicting branding information it’s hard to figure out what to do.
For example, I was told conflicting messages by two super successful coaches that I worked with. I went with the advice of one of those coaches, and decided to use the url name “lisaangelettieblog” for my article and information marketing website. The coach thought my name was memorable and that it would be a good strategy. Okay – I like my name too, but in hindsight I should have used a keyword rich domain name for this site.
Why? It would have helped me rank higher and faster for my main keywords, so for all the top 10 rankings that I currently have for my keywords, I had to work harder than necessary to attain them. Most of that, believe it or not, was due to my url name. Search engines like Google look at several factors for ranking content, but seeing the keywords in the domain name is a strong predictor of your article marketing SEO success.
Getting The Domain Name Right Is Crucial
Now that I’ve written and published a lot of articles on this site and many of my other sites, it’s a little too late to change my url. If I did, I would lose my ranking for many of my keywords because the url address for those articles would change. That’s why if you are just starting out (even if you have chosen a url and have a site up) STOP and go search and register a keyword domain name for your site. It’s not too late for you:) Obtaining a keyword rich domain url is your FIRST major step for ranking quickly in the search engines.
If like me you have an established site but still want to benefit from article marketing SEO, then there are a few ways around not having a good url. Some of which I will talk about in future articles in this series. *So continue on with me and read the next article in this series: Article Titles Aren’t Sexy
Need to catch up on the Article Marketing SEO Series? Read the series in order:
- information marketing & magazine marketing | Paige's Thoughts
- 6 Ways to Determine if Your Keyword Will be Profitable | Business Reviews
- Ad me Up before you gogo » Blog Archive » Top 10 Powerful Free Domain Name Tools (Edwin John)
- information marketing & ezine marketing
- How To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog
- SEO 101 – Lesson 4 – Article Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | MediaVerso.com
- Backlink Building using Article Marketing Strategy | Free Ezine Articles
Latest posts by Lisa Angelettie (see all)
- Amazon Lifts Payment Threshold Amount For EFT Users - January 22, 2014
- How To Convert & Share Your HTML Articles Via PDF Format - December 6, 2013
- How To Write A Book Review - November 25, 2013